ILLUSTRATIONS Dan WilliamsJanuary 20, 2017
When Gleneagles embarked on a redesign, it proved a great opportunity to commission beautiful work from some of Scotland’s leading artists and craftspeople. From ceramicists to lace weavers, here is a small selection of the talented makers who have brought warmth and character into the hotel’s elegant new spaces
1 Alan Robinson Glass
This Edinburgh-based stained glass studio used a mixture of seeded and clear red and green glass for the art deco-inspired screens in The Century Bar.
2 Jude Cassidy
Across the water in County Down, textile weaver Jude Cassidy hand-wove the fabric for the new lobby curtains on a 250-year-old dobby loom using a luxurious combination of wool, cotton and silk.
3 Morton, Young & Borland Textiles
Alexander Morton introduced the skill of lace-making to locals in Ayrshire back in 1876. Today, the company continues to produce traditional Scottish lace, used to create the beautiful curtains in The American Bar.
4 Lovat Mill
Situated on the banks of the River Teviot in the heart of Hawick, the weavers at Lovat Mill – who provide tweed for Chanel and Purdey among others – created a delicate heather cashmere for the wall panels in The American Bar.
5 Johnstons of Elgin
Manufacturing since 1797, Johnstons of Elgin wove two fabrics for The Century Bar’s stools and cushions and the chairs in The Glendevon at their mill in Moray.
6 Hilary Duncan
Banchory-based Hilary Duncan’s hand-made ceramics capture the essence of the Scottish landscape using coloured clays with images drawn or printed on them.
7 Simon Thorborn, Arran Ceramics
Based on the Isle of Arran, Simon Thorborn supplied bowls and vases for the hotel. He often uses a Japanese technique called raku, extracting the item from a kiln while still hot and then burying it in an organic material such as newspaper, sawdust or feathers.
8 Vanessa Bullick
Inspired by stones found on the seashore, Vanessa Bullick makes beautiful textured pots and glazed stone and ceramic tableware in her studio in Cellardyke, a village in Fife.